Are you wondering how to alphabetize in Google docs? It is an awesome technique that will help you get organized on your work when you are working with large amounts of information.
Google Docs is the ultimate organizer and is one of the most popular free word processing applications out there because you can create, share and access your documents anywhere. This free tool will help you organize all of your content in a specific way, making it easier for you to find what you are looking for. In addition to making your documents easier to read and search.
The process of alphabetizing documents in Google Docs is pretty simple but there are actually quite a few steps.
Disclosure: This free article contains some affiliate links. If you purchase any service through one of these links I may earn a small commission, this is at no additional cost to you.
What is Alphabetizing in Google Docs?
Google Docs has a sorting feature that allows you to organize your long lists of text alphabetically. When you are working on a big project and want to organize everything, using the alphabetized list feature in Google Docs can be the right choice.
With an organizational tool such as sorting, it can be really helpful to keep your documents neat and tidy.
Also, you can easily stay organized while typing out and formatting your tabular data to be properly structured in a neat and professional manner.
Unfortunately, Docs doesn’t provide a built-in default option for alphabetizing document content. However, there are quick steps that you can take to bring the tool into action.
The short guide below will help you alphabetize your lists in Google Docs using the Add-ons option.
How to Alphabetize in Google Docs
You may wonder – what is “Add-ons”? It’s a small feature inside Google Docs that will help you organize your content faster. These Add-ons automatically sort items in alphabetical or numerical order, depending on your preference.
Install Add-ons are separately created tools and applications that add more functionality to Google Docs. It is free and easy to install. Here’s how you can alphabetize content in Google Docs.
- Log into your Google account and open your document that you need to alpherbarize.
- Click the “Add-ons” in the taskbar and select “Get add ons”.
- Then in the pop up window, search for “Sorted Paragraphs” using the search box.
- Click on the button to install. (It’s totally free)
- Choose your google account to add it.
- Click on the “Allow” button to confirm your selection is sorted.
How to Use ‘Sorted Paragraphs’ to Alphabetize a Google Doc
Now you have it! Let’s alphabetize the paragraphs in a Google Doc. Here are the steps for what you should do next.
Let’s see how it works!
- Select the text/ paragraph to be sorted.
- Go to “Add-ons” and then click the “Sorted Paragraphs”.
- Choose “ Sort A to Z” or “Sort Z to A” that you need.
That’s it! Your document will be nicely alphabetized. Now that you have all the paragraphs nicely ordered in a Google doc.
How to Alphabetize in Google Sheets
Alphabetizing in Google Docs is a pretty straightforward task. If you have text that’s all caps (like titles and headings), you can follow the below steps in Google Sheets too.
When it comes to alphabetizing in Google Sheets, there are two methods you can use. Let’s get started!
Alphabetizing in Google Sheets Using Formula
- Go to your Google Sheets and open your spreadsheet.
- Select the cell in which you want to place the data in alphabetically.
- Type “=SORT()” on the selected cell. (You can also type it in the formula bar).
- Go into the brackets and then select the data that you want to alphabetize.
- Press “Enter” and that’s it!
Your list will automatically appear in alphabetical order.
Alphabetizing in Google Sheets Using in-built “Sort” Option
- Select the cells or columns that you need to alphabetize.
- Click the “Data” option in the menu bar and choose the “Sort Range”.
- Then select the sort order between “A→Z” or “Z→A” , in the pop up window.
- Press “Enter” to be done.
You can either choose all cells in the column and sort them by clicking on ‘Data’ and then choosing between the ‘Sort range… ‘ and ‘Sort sheet… ‘ options.
Must Read: How to Make a Table in Google Doc
Alphabetizing your content is extremely easy to do in Google Docs and Google Sheets. It doesn’t matter whether you’re trying to alphabetize a document within one of these programs or within both platforms at the same time, it’s a simple process that can be done in just a few clicks.
That’s how you Alphabetize in Google Docs and Google Sheets! From now on, you’ll be able to alphabetize your documents without any stress.